San Diego mosque shooting – what is known about the victims and the attackers

Main points

  • Two teenagers opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego, killing three people.
  • After the shooting at the mosque, the suspects likely committed suicide.

Two teenagers attacked a mosque in San Diego / Photo EPA / Shutterstock

May 18 Two teenagers opened fire at the Islamic Center of San Diego, the county's largest mosque, on Monday. Three people were killed in the shooting. The FBI is treating the attack as a possible hate crime.

According to police, the attack on the mosque was carried out by two young men aged 17 and 18. Reuters reports.

What is known about the terrifying incident in San Diego?

The shooting began at approximately 11:40 a.m. Pacific Time. About two hours before the attack, the mother of one of the suspects called police. She said her son, whom she described as suicidal, had fled the home, taking three of her guns and a car.

The woman also reported that her son was with a friend, and both were dressed in camouflage.

Do you want to read timely and high-quality news every day? Add 24 Channel to your Google favorites. Add

Police began searching for them, sending patrols to a shopping mall and a school. That's when reports of gunfire near the mosque came in. Witnesses said they heard about three dozen shots.

Within 5-10 minutes of the call, law enforcement officers were on the scene. They found three dead bodies near the entrance.

Among them was a security guard at the Islamic Center who tried to stop the attackers. Police called his actions heroic and said he likely saved many lives. The man is known to have left behind eight children.

After the shooting at the mosque, the police received another call – eyewitnesses reported that unknown persons had opened fire from a car at a gardener nearby. The man was not injured – one of the bullets ricocheted into his protective helmet. It was near this place that the police found the bodies of the suspects in the car with gunshot wounds. Investigators suggest that the boys may have committed suicide.

It is known that one of the attackers left a note with hateful statements.

By the way, the incident occurred on the eve of the great Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha and the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.

Imam Taha Hassane called the attack “extremely outrageous” and stressed that a mosque should be a place of prayer, not violence. Governor Gavin Newsom said he was shocked by the attack on a religious center, and President Donald Trump called the shooting a “horrible situation” and promised to closely monitor the investigation.

Recall that earlier in March, in the city of West Bloomfield, about 40 kilometers from Detroit, there was a shooting at the Temple Israel synagogue, which also houses a Jewish school. A man rammed a car into the building, then got out and opened fire. Police quickly arrived at the scene. The shooter was killed. According to the Associated Press, he is 36-year-old Mohamed Baylor Jallo, who was previously convicted of supporting ISIS in 2016. Two people were injured.

Anti-Semitic attacks are on the rise in Europe

According to the Financial Times, several European countries have recently recorded a series of attacks on civilian targets – including synagogues and banks in Belgium, the Netherlands, and France.

Responsibility for some of these incidents was claimed by a little-known group, Ashab al-Yamin, which, according to media reports, may be linked to Iran.

The group first announced itself on March 9, announcing “military operations” against US and Israeli interests around the world. On March 11, it claimed responsibility for the arson of a synagogue in Liege, Belgium, and an attack on an ambulance in London. The attacks continued:

March 13 – attack on a synagogue in Rotterdam;

March 14 – attack on a Jewish school in Amsterdam;

March 20 – Attempted attack on synagogue in Hampstead foiled;

March 28 – In Paris, police prevented the detonation of an explosive device near the office of a major American bank.

Experts note that the emergence of such a group “out of nowhere” seems atypical. There is speculation that it may not be a classic organization, but rather a tool or network coordinated by external structures.

Law enforcement officials reported the arrests of suspects in several countries, including the Netherlands, France, and the United Kingdom. The suspects ranged in age from 14 to 23. The attacks were likely targeted at Jewish communities and American financial institutions.

Despite a series of incidents, most of the attacks were not aimed at mass killings but at property damage. The main goal of such actions is to create fear, chaos, and political pressure in society.

No votes yet.
Please wait...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *