Azovets told what surprised him in Ukraine after the exchange

Main points

  • Soldier Dmitry “Rusty” Kanupier was in Russian captivity for 2.5 years. He defended Mariupol as part of the “Azov” regiment.
  • The Azovets told what surprised him in Ukraine after returning from captivity.

The soldier told what surprised him after the exchange / Photo by the Coordination Headquarters for the Treatment of Prisoners of War

Azov resident Dmytro “Rusti” Kanupier was in Russian captivity for 2.5 years, where he endured torture, starvation, and various situations that are difficult to describe. In the end, the soldier was exchanged from captivity. Many things now surprise him in civilian life.

Azov resident Dmytro “Rasti” Kanupier remembers Ukraine well on February 24, 2022. Then the entire society was ready to confront Russia, which had launched a full-scale war against our state.

What surprised the military in today's Ukraine?

According to the Azov resident, after being released from captivity, he is surprised that people are not so united now. Many are afraid to join the army.

I understand that not everyone can fight; that everyone is afraid of death. However, a certain number of people feel a duty and have a desire to destroy the enemy, to defend their country and their loved ones. If you are not at the front, then you should do something for the front. If a person donates millions a month, is engaged in technological developments, then there is no point in sending him to the front. But when a person deliberately does not go to fight and asks who he should fight for, then this causes a strong dissonance,
– the soldier remarked.

Read more verified news Add 24 Channel to your favorite sources in Google Add

In addition, it is especially surprising that in Ukraine, after 5 years of full-scale war, there are literally thousands of “Zhduns.” They can quite calmly live and work for the enemy, who has been destroying Ukrainians for so long.

Please note! Dmytro “Rasti” Kanupier defended Mariupol as part of the “Azov” regiment. He participated, in particular, in the battles for “Azovstal”. The soldier was released from captivity on October 18, 2024 during a prisoner exchange.

People are used to war.

As the soldier said, it is especially unusual that Ukrainians are used to war and constant air raids. During his captivity, he rarely saw people. And now the reaction of many during air raids is very surprising.

I came out of captivity and saw air defense units with searchlights driving out into the middle of Kyiv and shooting at drones. People don't care. They walk around relaxed. That is, they don't tense up when there might be a danger to their lives,
– the soldier noted.

What is known about recent prisoner exchanges?

In May, US President Donald Trump announced that Ukraine and Russia had agreed to a large-scale prisoner exchange on a 1,000-for-1,000 basis. He also announced that a so-called May 9 ceasefire would be in effect. Ultimately, the Russians violated it.

The Verkhovna Rada Commissioner for Human Rights Dmytro Lubinets reported that Russia was dragging out the process of the 1000-for-1000 exchange. He emphasized that Ukraine is working hard to ensure that prisoner exchanges take place. It is important to return everyone. In particular, we are talking about those people who have been in captivity since 2014.

The first stage of the exchange in this format took place on May 15. 205 servicemen returned home. Almost all the defenders had been in captivity for more than 4 years. The youngest released defender was 21 years old, the oldest was 62 years old.

No votes yet.
Please wait...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *