US Department of Justice removes information about those accused in January 6 riots from its website

The US Department of Justice is removing information and press releases from its website about those accused of rioting in the Capitol building on January 6, 2021. The US Department of Justice called this information “partisan propaganda.”

This is reported by the Associated Press.

The Justice Department said that the removal of information about those accused of storming the Capitol on January 6, 2021, is a “distortion of the role” of refusing to “weaponize Biden.”

“We will do everything possible to remedy the situation of those who have been persecuted for political reasons. This includes ridding the Ministry of Justice website of party propaganda,” the department said.

The US Department of Justice has removed information about those who pleaded guilty in the January 6, 2021, storming of the Capitol building in court, and about the cases of far-right extremist groups that participated in the storming, namely the “Proud Boys” and the “Oath Keepers”.

In September 2021, US President Donald Trump said that the January 6, 2021, riots during a protest near the Capitol building in Washington were “instigated by FBI agents” and called on then-FBI Director Christopher Wray to “answer the questions related to this.” Christopher Wray was appointed FBI Director by Trump himself in 2017.

What is known about the storming of the US Capitol building?

On the evening of January 6, 2021, the storming of the US Congress building began during a Senate session. The session was to approve the results of the US presidential election, which was won by Joseph Biden. During the storming of the building, clashes between protesters and police occurred.

Donald Trump, then in his first term as president, sent the National Guard to Congress. Law enforcement officers forced the demonstrators out of the building. Five people died in the clashes, including a police officer.

On July 19, one of the participants in the assault, Paul Hodgkins, was sentenced to 8 months in prison. He became the first participant in the incident to receive a real sentence.

On July 27, a special committee of the US House of Representatives held its first meeting on the investigation into the attack on the Capitol.

On September 18, a rally was held in Washington in support of supporters of former President Donald Trump who were arrested on January 6 during the storming of the Capitol.

According to The New York Times, among the members of the far-right Proud Boys movement who stormed the Capitol building was an FBI informant.

On October 9, the White House officially rejected Trump's attempt to block the transfer to Congress of documents related to the storming of the Capitol building in January 2021.

Joe Biden, who then won the election, during a speech on January 6, 2022, on the anniversary of the riots, accused Donald Trump of spreading lies about the events of the previous year and attacking democratic institutions.

On January 21, 2025, the first day after his inauguration as President of the United States, Trump in a single decision dismissed nearly 1,600 cases related to the January 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. He pardoned nearly 1,270 people convicted of participating in the January 6 events, ordered the Justice Department to close about 300 pending cases, and ordered the release of a small group of 14 other defendants who had been charged with the most serious cases of conspiracy to overthrow the government.

No votes yet.
Please wait...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *